If you are experiencing a severe headache lasting for several days, you should contact your doctor. The doctor can help determine the cause of your headache and rule out any serious medical conditions. Visiting an Aventura headache specialist may also be beneficial if you have frequent or chronic headaches.
Your doctor may recommend medications, lifestyle changes, stress management techniques, or other treatments to manage your pain. If the cause of your headache is unclear and no treatment is providing relief, consulting with a specialist can help determine the most effective approach to managing your symptoms.
Symptoms to look out for
In addition, it is important to seek medical attention immediately if you have a headache accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, stiff neck, confusion, difficulty speaking, or vision changes.
It could signify a more serious condition, such as meningitis or a stroke. To make an accurate diagnosis, your doctor may suggest other tests, such as a CT scan or MRI, to rule out any underlying health issues.
Common causes of headaches include stress, dehydration, lack of sleep, eyestrain, and muscle tension. Adopting healthy lifestyle habits such as exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, eating a balanced diet, and reducing stress can help reduce the frequency and severity of your headaches.
Most common types of headaches
Below are the most common types of headaches:
- Tension headaches: These are the most common type of headaches. They feel like a tight band around your head and can last several hours or even days.
- Migraine headaches: Migraines are usually more intense than other types of headaches, often accompanied by nausea, sensitivity to light, and vision changes.
- Cluster headaches are intense, one-sided headaches that usually last for a few minutes.
- Hormonal headaches can be triggered by fluctuating hormone levels during menstruation, pregnancy, or menopause.
- Caffeine withdrawal headaches: If you are used to drinking coffee or other caffeinated beverages, you may experience a headache if you suddenly stop or reduce your caffeine intake.
Indicative signs to see a headache specialist
These are some of the warning signs:
Headaches that persist even after taking over-the-counter medications
When you are in such a situation, it may be a sign of a more severe underlying condition. A headache specialist can help diagnose the cause of your headaches and recommend treatments to provide relief.
Worsening or new-onset headaches that are sudden and intense
If you experience a sudden and intense headache could indicate an underlying medical condition such as a stroke or tumor. A headache specialist can provide a diagnosis and appropriate treatment plan to manage your symptoms.
Frequent headaches that interfere with daily activities
Experiencing frequent headaches can make it difficult to go about your everyday life. A headache specialist can help identify the cause, manage pain levels, and recommend lifestyle changes or medications to reduce the frequency of headaches.
Headaches that wake you up at night
If you experience frequent headaches during the night, it may be a sign of a more serious underlying issue. A headache specialist can help determine the cause and provide treatment to manage your symptoms.
If you are having persistent or severe headaches that are interfering with your daily activities, it is best to contact your doctor at Modern Migraine MD.